WELCOME!!

We are so glad you are here! We love making and sharing our projects, and we are excited to have you visiting our site. Please leave us a comment and let us know what you think!

Jackie and Michelle

Followers

Friday, December 9, 2011

A New Christmas Ornament

I was messing around with an idea, and this is what I came up with.

I wanted to make a ball type ornament for the tree with the rosettes.  I came up with this.  It uses two sheets of cardstock, some ribbon, two beads, one ornament hanger, and a dangle.  I don't have my tree up yet, so I hung it on my ivy plant.  I think it looks quite festive.

Here's how I did it...

You will need 2 sheets of 12x12" cardstock.  Take one and cut at 11 1/2", discard extra piece." Take the other and cut at 5 1/2", saving the extra 6 1/2" piece.  Out of the 6 1/2" piece, punch 14 circles that are 1" in diameter, and punch 2 scallop shapes (2" in diameter).  Punch a hole in the middle of the circle and scallop shapes.  I used my cropadile's smallest hole punch.

Take the cardstock, lining the 12" side to the top of your scoring tool, and score at every 1/2".

After scoring, take the 11 1/2" piece, and cut into the following strips for your rosettes:
     4 strips at 1 3/4" wide each
     3 strips at 1 1/2" wide each

Take the 5 1/2" piece of cardstock and cut into the following strips:
    1 strip at 1 1/2" wide each
    4 strips at 1" wide each

You should now have 4 strips of each width.  Adhere two of each width together so that you have 6 long strips, 2 of each width.  Make your rosettes, using the 1" circles to secure them on both sides.  I used a hot glue gun for this, it is faster and I am impatient sometimes!  You should have 6 rosettes, two in each width.

I used a bamboo skewer to adhere the rosettes together, so that the holes all lined up nicely...
I put the smallest rosette on the skewer, added glue to the circle, and slid the nest one down.  Repeat for all shapes until you get your ball.
Now, adhere the scallop shapes, one on each end of the ornament ball to cover the circles.

I put an ornament jewel onto a decorative ornament hook, I threaded ribbon through the top of the hook, then through a bead...then through the ornament, through another bead and tied a square knot.  I hung it up with my Snowflake ornament I made for the Christmas blog hop.  

I think it turned out very nicely.  I am seeing other colors in my future...

Stay Crafty My Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment